No ads set up at present

Maplewood Railroad Depot, about 1890.

The Morris & Essex Rail Road was organized in 1836, and service began between Newark and Orange in November of that year. The very first trains were horse-drawn carriages of stage-coach type, rolling on rails. Within a year, Seth Boyden built a steam engine for the Morris and Essex Rail Road that would pull these carriages behind it.

Return to Historic Photos of Maplewood